The Mining & Exploration (M&E) Division of the Society for Mining, Metallurgy and Exploration annually awards scholarships to promising college students who have chosen as a career path the field of mining engineering. Applicants must be majoring in mining, geology or other field of specialization covered by the M&E Division’s technical unit committees (Environmental Control & Reclamation, Geochemistry, Geology, Geomechanics, Geophysics, Hydrology, Open Pit Mining, Operations Research, Solution Mining, Underground Mining and Underground Ventilation).
The Eugene P. Pfleider Memorial Scholarship is administered by the Mining & Exploration Division and is awarded on an annual basis to students pursuing careers in mining engineering.
Eligible students may submit one application in consideration for both of these scholarships. See the scholarship guidelines for more information.
M&E/Pfleider Scholarship applicants must meet the following criteria:
1. Have completed at least two years of undergraduate studies with a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.50.
2. Be an SME student member in good standing.
3. Attend a school that is ABET accredited and/or has an SME student chapter.
4. Demonstrate a desire for and a probability of success in a career in the mining/minerals industry.
M&E/Pfleider Scholarship applications must be submitted online via SME’s Scholarship
portal: https://app.wizehive.com/appform/login/smeapp. The online application requires the following information:
1. Demographic and contact information.
2. Short statement (one page) describing applicant’s interest in/passion for a career in the mining/minerals industry.
3. Two references, one from university faculty and one from an appropriate industry professional.
4. Résumé detailing past education and work experience.
5. Copy of most recent transcript (unofficial transcripts are OK).
6. Anticipated expenses/income for the current academic year.
Year of Need: College Junior, College Senior,
Type: Merit Based
Num Awards: 4
Min Award: Varies
Max Award: 1,500
Society for Mining, Metallurgy, and Exploration
12999 E. Adam Aircraft Circle
Englewood, CO 80112
Phone: 303-948-4208 / 800-763-3132