The McIntosh Engineering Scholarship is awarded annually to up to six promising undergraduate students entering their junior year of an accredited undergraduate degree program in mining engineering with a focus on underground mining. The McIntosh Engineering Scholarship is a renewable scholarship with total potential funding of $12,000 per student: $5,000 for junior year and, subject to renewal approval, an additional $7,000 for senior year.
Applicant Qualifications: McIntosh Scholarship applicants must meet the following criteria:
1. Have completed at least two years of undergraduate studies with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0.
2. Be an SME student member in good standing.
3. Attend a school that is ABET accredited and/or has an SME Student Chapter.
4. Demonstrate a desire for and a probability of success in a career in underground mining.
Scholarship applications must be submitted online via SME’s
Scholarship portal: https://app.wizehive.com/appform/login/smeapp. The online application requires the following information:
1. Demographic and contact information.
2. Short statement (one page) describing applicant’s interest in/passion for a career in underground mining.
3. Two references, one from university faculty and one from an appropriate industry professional.
4. Résumé detailing past education and work experience.
5. Copy of most recent transcript (unofficial transcripts are OK).
6. Anticipated expenses/income for the current academic year.
7. McIntosh applicants must submit the required essay (see website for detailed information).
Year of Need: College Junior, College Senior,
Type: Merit Based
Num Awards: 6
Min Award: 5,000
Max Award: 7,000
Society for Mining, Metallurgy, and Exploration
12999 E. Adam Aircraft Circle
Englewood, CO 80112
Phone: 303-948-4208 / 800-763-3132