Each year, more than 840 deserving caddies attend college on full tuition and housing grants from the Evans Scholars Foundation. To qualify, caddies must be nominated by their club and meet four requirements:
- Strong caddie record: Candidates must have caddied, successfully and regularly, for a minimum of two years and also expected to caddie and/or work at their sponsoring club during the summer when they apply for the scholarship.
- Excellent academics: Candidates must have completed their junior year of high school with above a B average in college preparatory courses and are required to take the ACT.
- Demonstrated financial need: Candidates must clearly establish their need for financial assistance.
- Outstanding character: Candidates must be outstanding in character, integrity and leadership.
- Deadline: SEPTEMBER 30 each year
All candidates who satisfy the above requirements then compete for the limited number of Chick Evans Caddie Scholarships awarded annually. More than 200 new Scholars are chosen annually. For those applicants who are named finalists, the culmination of the selection process is the interview with the Scholarship Committee, consisting of WGA Directors and other officials of the program. The decision follows, and finalists are notified within one week.