Criteria for Application:
1. Applicant must be a current member of SHAPE America. Graduate students may join at the time of application.
2. Applicant must be majoring in the field of health, physical education, recreation or dance.
3. Applicant must be enrolled in a matriculated full-time masters or doctoral program. One semester of full-time study
in the field of health, physical education, recreation or dance must be completed in pursuit of applicant’s current
degree. *Doctoral candidates working on their dissertation must be no more than one year beyond coursework completion.
4. Applicant must have a minimum grade point average of 3.5 overall on a 4.0 grade point scale. The following
guidelines should be used when reporting the GPA:
* First semester Master’s and Doctoral candidates: GPA based on most recent degree obtained. GPA scores
from all institutions attended in pursuit of applicant’s most recent degree must be factored into the overall GPA.
* Master’s/Doctoral candidates beyond first semester: GPA based on applicant’s current program. GPA
scores from all institutions attended in pursuit of applicant’s current degree must be factored into the overall GPA.
5. Applicant must be a first time Ruth Abernathy Presidential Scholarship recipient.
Undergraduate recipients are ineligible for the graduate scholarship award.
Criteria for Selection
1. Scholastic proficiency
2. Evidence of leadership
3. School, community, professional activity/service
4. Character attributes
Year of Need: 1st Year Grad, 2nd Year Grad, 3rd Year Grad, Beyond 3rd Year Grad,
Type: Merit Based
Num Awards: 1
Min Award: Varies
Max Award: Varies
1900 Association Drive
Reston, VA 20191
Contact Person: Patti Hartle
Phone: (800) 213-7193
Fax: (703) 476-9527