The J.H. Fletcher & Co. Scholarship is awarded annually to one or more students pursuing an undergraduate degree in mining or minerals engineering, with a desire to use their skills to apply technology to improve safety and productivity in underground mining. Students pursuing degrees in mechanical or electrical engineering may also be considered if they are minoring in Mining Engineering or show a strong desire for a career in the underground mining industry.
Fletcher Scholarship applicants must meet the following criteria:
1. Have completed at least two years of undergraduate studies with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0.
2. Be an SME student member in good standing.
3. Attend a school that is ABET accredited and/or has an SME Student Chapter.
4. Demonstrate a desire for and a probability of success in a career in underground mining.
Fletcher Scholarship applications must be submitted online via SME’s
Scholarship portal: https://app.wizehive.com/appform/login/smeapp. The online application requires the following information:
1. Demographic and contact information.
2. Short statement (one page) describing applicant’s interest in/passion for a career in underground mining.
3. Two references, one from university faculty and one from an appropriate industry professional.
4. Résumé detailing past education and work experience.
5. Copy of most recent transcript (unofficial transcripts are OK
6. Anticipated expenses/income for the current academic year
The J.H. Fletcher & Co. Scholarship is a renewable scholarship with total funding determined annually by the SME Foundation Scholarship Committee.
Year of Need: College Junior, College Senior,
Num Awards: 1 or More
Min Award: Varies
Max Award: Varies
Society for Mining, Metallurgy, and Exploration
12999 E. Adam Aircraft Circle
Englewood, CO 80112
Phone: 303-948-4208 / 800-763-3132