The Coal & Energy Division of the Society for Mining, Metallurgy and Exploration annually awards scholarships to promising college students who have chosen as a career path the field of mining engineering with an emphasis on coal. There is no limit on the number of applicants that may come from one school or university; however, only one Coal & Energy Division Scholarship will be awarded to a mining engineering program in any given year.
C&E Division Scholarship applicants must meet the following criteria:
1. Have completed at least two years of undergraduate studies with a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.50.
2. Be a SME student member in good standing.
3. Attend a school that is ABET accredited and/or has an SME student chapter.
4. Demonstrate a desire for and a probability of success in a career in coal mining.
C&E Division Scholarship applications must be submitted online via SME’s Scholarship portal: https://app.wizehive.com/appform/login/smeapp. The online application requires the following information:
1. Demographic and contact information.
2. Short statement (one page) describing applicant’s interest in/passion for a career in coal mining.
3. Two references, one from university faculty and one from an appropriate industry professional.
4. Résumé detailing past education and work experience.
5. Copy of most recent transcript (unofficial transcripts are ok).
6. Anticipated expenses/income for the current academic year
Questions may be directed to:
Scholarship Coordinator, SME Member Services Department
Year of Need: College Junior, College Senior,
Num Awards: 1
Min Award: Varies
Max Award: Varies
Society for Mining, Metallurgy, and Exploration
12999 E. Adam Aircraft Circle
Englewood, CO 80112
Phone: 303-948-4208 / 800-763-3132