Criteria for Application:
1. Applicant must be a current member of SHAPE America. Undergraduate students may join at the time of application.
2. Applicant must be majoring in the field of health, physical education, recreation or dance.
3. Applicant must have college junior or senior class standing at a baccalaureate-granting college/university
(completed a minimum of 60 semester/90 quarter units of college courses).
4. Applicant must have a minimum grade point average of 3.5 overall on a 4.0 grade point scale. GPA scores from all
institutions attended in pursuit of applicant’s current degree must be factored into the overall GPA.
5. Applicant must be a first time Ruth Abernathy Presidential Scholarship recipient.
Criteria for Selection
1. Scholastic proficiency
2. Evidence of leadership
3. School, community, professional activity/service
4. Character attributes
The following materials (see website for more information) must be submitted electronically or by mail by October 15. Incomplete applications and those not strictly adhering to the directions for submission will not be considered.
Year of Need: College Junior, College Senior,
Type: Merit Based
Num Awards: Multiple
Min Award: Varies
Max Award: Varies
1900 Association Drive
Reston, VA 20191
Contact Person: Patti Hartle
Phone: (800) 213-7193
Fax: (703) 476-9527