The Mining and Metallurgical Society of America and the Society for Mining, Metallurgy, and Exploration Foundation offer one significant scholarship (MMSA/SMEF Scholarship) on an annual basis to an outstanding student whose study program encompasses any aspect of the extractive minerals industry.
The scholarship will be awarded to a student whose study program is directed toward:
a. Mining or geological engineering.
b. Metallurgy, metallurgical engineering, or chemical engineering as related to metal recovery.
c. Mining or mineral exploration geology.
d. Environmental science or engineering as related to mining activities.
MMSA/SMEF Scholarship applicants must meet the following criteria:
1. Have completed at least three years of undergraduate studies with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.50.
2. Be an SME student member in good standing.
3. Attend a school that is ABET-accredited and/or has an SME student chapter.
4. Demonstrate a desire for and a probability of success in a career in the minerals industry.
MMSA/SMEF Scholarship applications must be submitted online through SME’s
scholarship application portal (https://app.wizehive.com/appform/login/smeapp). The online application requires the following information:
1. Demographic and contact information.
2. Short statement (one page) describing applicant’s interest in/passion for a career in the extractive minerals industry.
3. Two letters of reference, at least one of which must be from university faculty.
4. Résumé detailing past education and work experience.
5. Copy of most recent transcript (unofficial transcripts are OK).
6. Anticipated expenses/income for the current academic year.
Year of Need: College Senior,
Type: Merit Based
Num Awards: 1
Min Award: 4,000
Max Award: Varies
Society for Mining, Metallurgy, and Exploration
12999 E. Adam Aircraft Circle
Englewood, CO 80112
Phone: 303-948-4208 / 800-763-3132