The Mineral and Metallurgical Processing Division (MPD) of the Society for Mining, Metallurgy, and Exploration offers up to six scholarships on an annual basis to students interested in pursuing careers in the area of mineral processing. The Richard
Klimpel/MPD Scholarships are open to undergraduate or graduate students.
Klimpel/MPD Scholarship applicants must meet the following criteria:
1. Have completed at least two years of undergraduate studies with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0.
2. Be an SME student member in good standing.
3. Attend a school that is ABET accredited and/or has an SME student chapter.
4. Demonstrate a desire for and a probability of success in a career in mineral processing.
Klimpel/MPD Scholarship applications must be submitted online via SME’s Scholarship
portal: https://app.wizehive.com/appform/login/smeapp. The online application requires the following information:
1. Demographic and contact information.
2. Short statement (one page) describing applicant’s interest in/passion for a career in mineral/metallurgical processing.
3. Two references, one from university faculty and one from an appropriate industry professional.
4. Résumé detailing past education and work experience.
5. Copy of most recent transcript (unofficial transcripts are OK).
6. Anticipated expenses/income for the current academic year.
The first place recipient receives the Richard Klimpel Scholarship in the amount of $3,000 plus expenses to attend the SME Annual Meeting. Up to five additional MPD scholarships may be awarded annually at the discretion of the MPD Scholarship
Year of Need: College Junior, College Senior, 1st Year Grad, 2nd Year Grad,
Num Awards: 6
Min Award: Varies
Max Award: 3,000
Society for Mining, Metallurgy, and Exploration
12999 E. Adam Aircraft Circle
Englewood, CO 80112
Phone: 303-948-4208 / 800-763-3132