The Industrial Minerals & Aggregates Division (IM&AD) of the Society for Mining, Metallurgy, and Exploration annually awards one or more scholarships to promising college students who are pursuing degrees in geology, mining engineering, or mineral
economics with special interests in an industrial minerals and aggregates-oriented program. The Gerald V. Henderson Memorial Scholarship (Henderson Scholarship) is open to undergraduate or graduate students.
Henderson Scholarship applicants must meet the following criteria:
1. Have completed at least two years of undergraduate studies with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0.
2. Be an SME student member in good standing.
3. Attend a school that is ABET-accredited and/or has an SME Student Chapter.
4. Demonstrate a desire for and a probability of success in a career in industrial minerals and/or aggregates industries.
Henderson Scholarship applications must be submitted online via SME’s Scholarship
portal: https://app.wizehive.com/appform/login/smeapp. The online application requires the following information:
1. Demographic and contact information.
2. Short statement (one page) describing applicant’s interest in/passion for a career in the industrial minerals and/or aggregates industries.
3. Two references, one from university faculty and one from an appropriate industry professional.
4. Résumé detailing past education and work experience.
5. Copy of most recent transcript (unofficial transcripts are OK).
6. Anticipated expenses/income for the current academic year.
Questions may be directed to:
Scholarship Coordinator, SME Member Services Department
Year of Need: College Junior, College Senior, 2nd Year Grad, 3rd Year Grad,
Num Awards: 1 or More
Min Award: Varies
Max Award: Varies
Society for Mining, Metallurgy, and Exploration
12999 E. Adam Aircraft Circle
Englewood, CO 80112
Phone: 303-948-4208 / 800-763-3132