The Environmental Division of the Society for Mining, Metallurgy, and Exploration annually awards scholarships to promising college students who have chosen as a career path the field of mining and the environment. The Environmental Division Scholarship is open to undergraduate and graduate students.
Environmental Division Scholarship applicants may also be considered for a $2,000 scholarship sponsored by Veolia Water Technologies (Veolia). To be considered for the Veolia Scholarship, applicants must submit a short essay (approximately 250 words) explaining why water is an essential part of the mining process.
Environmental Division Scholarship applicants must meet the following criteria:
1. Have completed at least two years of undergraduate studies with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0.
2. Be an SME student member in good standing.
3. Attend a school that is ABET accredited and/or has an SME Student Chapter.
4. Demonstrate a desire for and a probability of success in a career in mining and the environment.
Environmental Division Scholarship applications must be submitted online via SME’s
Scholarship portal: https://app.wizehive.com/appform/login/smeapp. The online application requires the following information:
1. Demographic and contact information.
2. Short statement (one page) describing applicant’s interest in/passion for a career in mining and the environment.
3. Two references, one from university faculty and one from an appropriate industry professional.
4. Résumé detailing past education and work experience.
5. Copy of most recent transcript (unofficial transcripts are OK).
6. Anticipated expenses/income for the current academic year.
Questions may be directed to:
Scholarship Coordinator, SME Member Services Department
Year of Need: College Junior, College Senior, 1st Year Grad, 2nd Year Grad,
Num Awards: Multiple
Min Award: Varies
Max Award: Varies
Society for Mining, Metallurgy, and Exploration
12999 E. Adam Aircraft Circle
Englewood, CO 80112
Phone: 303-948-4208 / 800-763-3132