The Thoroughbred Scholarship is available to undergraduate students from any background wishing to pursue a career in pre-veterinary medicine (equine practice only), equine science, racetrack management, equine business management or pasture management as it pertains to horse farms, and other related fields. (Riding certification programs are not eligible.)
To be eligible for this scholarship, a student must
• be 24 years old or younger as of September 1 of the application year,
• have at least a 2.85 cumulative GPA,
• have an annual household income of less than $75,000 OR be financially independent from parents.*
Essay on ONE of the following three topics (Please limit essay response to 500 words or less.):
1) What do you consider to be the single most important societal problem? Why?
2) Pick a controversial problem on college campuses and suggest a solution.
3) Describe how you have demonstrated leadership ability both in and out of school.
4) Describe your most meaningful achievement(s) and how it relates to your future goals.
Letter(s) of recommendation (Optional. Must be signed but not in sealed envelope);
Current official transcript (Optional. But may be requested at a later date. Seal can be broken);
Student Aid Report (from FAFSA)
If you have NOT received your Student Aid Report, you must submit either your parent/guardian’s previous year’s tax return and current year’s W2 form OR the current year’s tax return. (Additional years may be requested.);
Financial aid award letter(s); (Applicable. Including other scholarship awards).
Applicants apply online ONLY. Applications will be reviewed by The Race For Education Selection Committee and finalists contacted for a personal interview. Scholarship recipients will be selected by the Board of Directors, and all applicants will be notified by June 1st each year. Inquiries about the scholarships may be directed to The Race For Education at (859) 252-8648 or firstname.lastname@example.org
*To be considered financially independent, a student must be at least 24 years old OR married OR a veteran OR an orphan OR have dependents of his or her own. Applicants who have been legally emancipated must provide documentation indicating such. No exceptions will be considered.
Year of Need: College Freshman, College Sophomore, College Junior, College Senior,
Type: Needs Based
Num Awards: Multiple
Min Award: Varies
Max Award: 6,000
The Race for Education
1818 Versailles Road
Lexington, KY 40504
Phone: (859) 252-8648
Fax: (859) 252-8030